Printed hoarding boards were used to cover the building site hoarding at St Johns School in Leatherhead, Surrey.
The prestigious independent school is replacing the existing swimming pool with a new competition standard six lane 25 meter pool. The building of the new swimming pool complex is going to take over a year to complete. The school wanted to use the hoarding space as a prospectus opportunity for potential new parents visiting the school. A printed hoarding boards would also enhance the overall appearance of the area and be educational.
Printed hoarding boards of School’s history timeline design
We worked with the schools Archivist to come up with creative design as well as being informative of the school’s 167 year history.
The printed hoarding boards were digitally printed high resolution onto a 3mm thick aluminium composite board and over laminated with anti-graffiti film. The anti-graffiti film will not stop graffiti but can be wiped off with chemicals like nail varnish remover without damaging the print. The over laminated will also give the print additional protection against abrasion when cleaning the hoarding.
St John’s School was founded in 1851 by a clergyman, Ashby Haslewood, who was vicar of St Mark’s, Hamilton Terrace in St John’s Wood, north London. He had a dual purpose in founding the School – to offer free education for the sons of poor clergymen and to provide a choir for his large church.
The School was a success but the dual purpose imposed restrictions. So in 1854 the School moved outside the parish boundaries of St Mark’s into neighbouring Kilburn. This was the first of three moves before the School moved to Leatherhead in 1872.
Despite much progress, it remained essentially a charity school until the significant headmastership of Arthur Rutty (HM 1883 – 1909) when the School developed all the characteristics of a public school and began to attract fee-paying parents while remaining loyal to the sons of poor clergymen.
The School has continued to expand and in 1989 the first Sixth Form girls were admitted. In 2010 girls joined the School in the Fourth Form for the first time and the School became fully co-educational from September 2012. In September 2016 the School opened its doors to Year 7 pupils for the first time, with a brand new Lower School for 11+ entry.